By Emma Jornlin
Homesharing is a great option for those who don’t want to live alone. Oftentimes individuals who come to St. Ambrose are looking for a roommate but, for various reasons, don’t want to live with family or close friends.
The benefits of Homesharing abound. On the Home Provider’s part, sharing your house can mean assistance with household expenses, receiving help with chores or, as a recent article in the Chicago Tribune mentioned, just having someone with whom to watch Dancing with the Stars!
On the Home Seeker’s part, moving in with a Home Provider in Baltimore City/County can mean obtaining affordable housing while having the opportunity to share in someone lifestyle or culture—even being welcomed into the family. One of our Home Providers introduces Home Seekers to her grandkids when they visit. Another invites her Homesharers upstairs for Friday night dinners.
For those who don’t like the idea of having to greet someone before they’ve had their coffee or navigating someone shower schedule, private baths and entrances are available for a slightly higher price than the average $450-500/month.
Our goal at St. Ambrose is to match people based on personality and preferences so that our Home Owners find the right person to share their home and our Home Seekers feel genuinely welcome there.
Here is an overview of our process:
- Homeowners apply through our online application or request a mail-in form.
- Homeowners are interviewed in their home.
- Homeseekers are interviewed at St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center.
- Homesharing staff screen and check references of Home Providers and Home Seekers to make sure they have a clean criminal history, no current addictions, and that they have a good rental history.
- Our Homesharing Counselors discuss and refer possible Homesharers, based on asking rent, location, and other “non-negotiables,” as well as based on personality and likes/dislikes.
- Home Seekers visit the Home Provider’s’ homes until each party decides on a roommate they like.
- Our staff meets with the Homesharers to formalize the match.
- We check in on the match once a quarter for the first year and provide free mediation services if needed.
The Homesharing Department is reachable at: (410) 366-6180 or you can go to www.stambros.org